What will happen to my OPT STEM extension status if I do my Masters?

Hello,

I have completed my bachelors and I am on the F1 OPT stem extension till April 2021. I recently lost my job and I am unable to find any employment.

My question is if I do enroll for my masters what will happen to my current OPT stem extension? Will that get canceled or will it run parallel to my new masters F1?

If anyone can help clarify this, it would be of great help!

Thank you,

Well, it will be technically cancelled, but you need to take action. You need to talk to your DSO and withdraw OPT or update SEVIS system regarding the same. The simple reason is, if you exceed certain number of days of not working, then you will be violating status. Talk to your DSO at new school, where you plan to join Masters on the implication and then discuss with your current DSO at Bachelors degree school and take required action.

Thank you for the response Kumar. It makes sense but what If I do get a Job on OPT then can I pursue my Masters while I work on OPT?

I am not sure, if that would work as you would need to follow the OPT rules tied to the new Masters program. Talk to the DSO, if such option exists…There is pre-completion OPT, but may or may not apply in your context here as it may be classed at times as Day 1 CPT…there will be some restrictions. You need to discuss with your DSO on the situation and then take action.