What are my chances/options to return to U.S. - Please advice

Hi All,

I would really really appreciate if you can please take time to go through the following detailed information and guide me about my chances/options to return to the U.S.

I completed my Masters degree in the U.S. But due to recession at that time I could not find a job and got in to a Ph.D. program (at a good school) with an intention to complete it. But due to my bad financial situation (being from a middle class family, had to take a bank loan for my Masters degree with high interest rates), I could not concentrate to make much progress on my research (worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA - for about 3 years) for small pay check that would not help me to pay off my loans).

I kept applying for Internships (with an intention to switch to H1 Visa) and luckily got one with a good company (Had to work with the company on CPT and had to pay my own semester fees - which was very expensive). Unfortunately just within 4 months of my joining, the company started laying off employees due to sequestration effect. I wanted to return to my Ph.D. school, but this time I could not get a GTA position for the next semester and I could not afford to continue there anymore. However, there was an option to take a leave/break from my Ph.D. program upto 5 years and return to our country. I did not have any other option and hence applied for one year leave and returned to India.

I have been a state rank holder in my tenth, a gold medalist in my Undergrad and maintained a 4.0 G.P.A in my Masters degree. I lived in U.S. for about 5-6 years and did not get a single opportunity to settle my life and take care of my loans/my parents in India. Right now I am in India, and at times I get very stressed out due to my financial situation.

I am sorry about the long post. I would be very thankful if anybody can advice me about my options to return to U.S. (I believe that getting a job in U.S. will help me to clear off my loans more quickly).

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Your best shot at getting an H1B Visa from India is through IT MNCs like TCS, CTS, Wipro, Infosys, etc.

I would suggest you to join one of these companies with an assurance than they would file an H1B petition for you in the next cycle. Parallely, you can apply for H1B from a recognized Consultancy/Attorney to increase your changes of getting through the Lottery.

There are also many other options like getting employed in Canada for the time being and then apply from H1B from there. It’ll be easier for you to move to the US and in the meantime, you’ll be able to earn handsomely.

This is just my personal opinion. Please make an informed choice after consulting others as well.