Ways to get paid in India by US employer

H1b extension got approved for consulate processing and I was not authorized to work in US so had to leave the country and get stamped in India.

But since consulates are closed for routine visa issuance I am stuck in India. My employer wants me to continue working for them but they don’t have an entity set up in India or have any other operations.

Which is the best(cheapest and less tax liabilities) way to get paid legally? I will be getting about 5k USD bi-weekly if it makes any difference.

  • Finding an agency that can put me on their payroll and the agency will get in a contract with my employer
  • Invoice the employer as freelancer and they can transfer money to my account directly

Are there any other options?