Urgent reply-M on dependent visa L2 and have no financial support from husband


M on L2 visa and my husband is on L1 visa. Our visa going to expire next year in oct 2015. We came to US in oct 2012. V recentlt went to India for vaccation. Their my husband and his family tortured me to an extent for their unlawful dowry demands. My husband tempered my passport and ran away from India to US without me. Also cancelled my return ticket. I manage to get duplicate passport and reached US on my own expenses. My husband physically abused me in Georgia and went to Texas. Arrest warrant by PCT has been issued against him but so far he did not appear againt his warrant. As a counter attack to me he sued me for annulment of marriage and TRO against me. I have filed my response mentioning the court of texas to dismiss the case bcoz as per texas law, he is not domiciled in texasfor minimum 6 months. M facing hell ,ots of pains right now. Now plz help me to solve my queries here are:

1. He is not financilay supporting me as I am not earning and has no income and all financial control is under him. Is there any law where i can file spouse support from him?

2. His plans are to get separated from me and send me back to India. Can he himself be deported on the basis of his arrest warrant?

3. He filed for annulment where he has no base to prove it fraud marriage. I have original marriage certificate and v got married 2 years back. I myself don want to give him divorce as my all dowry articles are in custody of his parents in India.

4. What is the validity of TRO ? i want to call him to talk to him.

5. He has filed for H1 visa and I am sure he wont process for my H4 . kindly suggest me on this?

Plz revert with ur suggestions asap. I am really in need of it.


I am so sorry to hear about this. Alimony is governed by the UIFSA code which includes foreign jurisdictions which means if you are married under a recognized national act of any country (example India, Hindu Marriages Act 1955) and are unable to support yourself, alimony not to exceed $2,500 or 20% of after tax salary of spouse, whichever is less, is owed to you. A Temporary Restraining Order is valid when issued and you must respect it even if no basis exists, so do not attempt to contact him. File for a change of status out of L-2 to H-1, F-1 or J-1.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, USA. www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu