Travel to India while University transfer in progress

Hi All,

I’ve a valid visa and applied to a different university for Fall 2015. I’m still waiting for admission so that I can transfer my sevis to the new University. I’ve completed my first semester at University A and applied planned for a University transfer as the fee at University A is very high. I’ve taken the decision a bit late and because of which I lost three months. Now applied for University B, awaiting for admission & I-20. In University A I’ve taken up MBA and now in University I’ve applied for MSCS (So would be starting my First semester again at University B due to change in my Master’s Program).

I spoke to the university and I may get my admit by 3rd or 4th week of July, then will apply for sevis trans which will be done in 3 to 5 business days. So by August 1st week my university & Sevis transfer will be done. University B starts in September 4th week or October 1st Week, so I have almost two months of time in between. I’m planning to visit India during this time.

Now my question is that I have a valid visa for University A in passport but I have changed the university now and my sevis will be for University B now. Will it cause any problems if I visit India during this period and will it be a problem at port of entry once I return.

Its urgent so any help or advice on this would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Raj,

Your stamped visa is a valid travel document and there should be no problem.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar

Hope for Humanity

Visa and Career Advice without lawyers

It should not be a problem. Transfer of Universities is very common among international students and should not create any issues. After your transfer is done, you will speak to the DSO at the new university and get the relevant I20 and travel documents so that there will not be any issue for you, when you come back. Personally, in my case, I had visa stamped for Univ A, I transfered to Univ B. I visited India and came back with the same visa stamp I had for Univ B. Just speak to the DSO before you make any travel plans and carry all the relevant documents.

Hi Kumar,

Thank You for your reply. After first sem at University A I had taken a break as the fee is very expensive and it was too late to apply for another university. So I had a 2 month break after first sem from University A. Will that create any issues for me.

Thanks,

Hi SShankar,

Thank You for your reply. After first sem at University A I had taken a break as the fee is very expensive and it was too late to apply for another university. So I had a 2 month break after first sem from University A. Will that create any issues for me.

Thanks,