Reset of unutilized period of H1B Visa

I got H1 B visa for 3 years but I lived in U.S. only for 6 months. And now I am in India from more than 1 year. My visa is still valid for few more months. Can I get my visa reset so that I can use it for around next 2.5-3 years? Also will that be counted as extension?

Kindly let me know if this is possible and also process for the same. Or direct me to some material where I can learn about the same.


When an employer files a cap-exempt petition for you, they will ask it for a term period like 1-3 years. Once you enter US to work on that petition, you can avail all lost period.

Remember, you can work at most 6 years inside US on H-1B. Employers can continue to file for extension until you have availed those 6 years.