Regarding Second F1 - Port of entry issue for first F1

Hi All,

I had a valid F1 visa till Jan1st, 2020 and it got cancelled at port of Entry in December 2019 as they thought I was working on my F1 status, which I was not as I had sufficient funds and family support. I had my OPT approved during my first F1. Now I want to apply for second F1, what are the chances of getting visa for second time?

Also I was thinking of applying for visiting visa and if approved wanted to change it to F1 upon arrival. What are the consequences with this option?

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raj.

Raj,
Did you sign any papers at the Port of entry ? Usually, if you were denied entry, it can be very difficult. You can definitely give it a shot, but it is subject to more scrutiny as they have your history and not sure, if they will give you visa.
Also, applying for other visa type with intent to do COS is not a good idea. Your intent is changing and not suggested.

Thanks Kumar, Yea I did sign papers at port of entry. I was actually planning for PHD if I get an admission. Immigration officer told me that I can apply again for F1, I’m only being denied on that particular visa. Not sure if that helps. Is it suggested to give another try?

Raj.

Raj,
You may try, but be aware that they believe that you had some violations…does not matter they are true or not, that’s what their system shows. So, be extra prepared and give it your best shot…It may or may not work out, but if you are really keen, give it a try.

What would be my chance to get PhD Admit in US? I have 9.0 CGPA in my UG and also I completed my UG thesis work from well known research institute, currently I was pursuing my Master and I want to apply for Fall - 2020.

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. I am actually in a situation where I cannot make the decision to go for another F1 or not. My siblings are settled in the USA and even I want to settle there, but I have two options either go for Canada PR or try H1 or F1 for the USA. For Canada PR age is one of the major criteria where I am losing lot of points and even if I file the chances are 50-50. H1 no one is ready to apply due to the new administration. The only options I have is F1 and that too a difficult task. I am trying Canada PR and also H1 simultaneously but also wanted to give a try on F1 again. I did approach couple of consultancies and they are asking to write DUOLINGO English exam. I haven’t heard it before and it a lot cheaper than IELTS or TOEFL. Is DUOLINGO accepted in the USA? Please let me know. Also if you have any information regarding Canada PR please share it.

Thanks,
Raj

Hi Kumar,

I have a question regarding red flag that is there on my name in USCIS. Generally for an F1 student how long will a red flag be active? Would be for a period of time or for life?

Thanks,
Raj.