Questions about indian Citizenship for Kid born in USA

Hello All

I have a question w.r.t the Indian Citizenship for US Born Child.

Consider the following scenario.

  1. Kid born in the USA
  2. Birth registered with Indian Consulate in the USA
  3. Obtained Indian Passport
  4. Traveled to India with Parents (Parents on H1B and H4 Visas respectively)
  5. Question1: Is it possible to obtain H4 Visa for a kid possessing an Indian passport, but has a birth certificate from USA? Or is the kid ineligible to enter the US without US passport?

Question2: Do Indian Consulates provide birth certificates when a child’s birth is registered with them?

Thank you so much for your support as always.


Why would you opt for Indian passport for a US born child? Your child is US citizen by birth and US consulate will not issue visa to a person born in the US.
You should apply for US passport for your child, surrender the Indian passport and apply for OCI card for your child.

Hospital the child is born registers the birth with county office and birth certificate is issued by the county. I dont think Indian Consulate can issue birth certificate.

Thanks, Kalpesh for the quick response.