Moved from L1to H1B and indian company asking recovery for bond

Hi,

I moved from L1B to H1B last year.Since my Indian employer with whom I was on L1 didn’t process H visa and there was not much scope of continuing with them for a longer time,I processed H 1b through a consultant on my own and currently I am working as a contractor.I was easily relieved from the project I was working for the Indian co with a 2 wks notice here,but now they are demanding a huge amount as recovery as they made me sign a bond the 2nd time too, when I travelled back to and from India after completion of a 1 yr project in US on L1. I had already served more than 2 yrs on L visa before moving out for which, 2 wks notice should have been sufficient.They are now sending letters with legal threats if unpaid.Though I had anticipated this situation,I am concerned about the experience letter which I can’t get from them now.(not sure even if paid,they will give that) .Are experience letters really required during GC process? I have all the payslips(both India payslips and US ) from them.I’m already losing an amount for a month of paid leaves with them in this case and not sure,for my PF in India whether I might also need their help in any way.I feel it’s unjustified to pay a heavy amount just for a letter.Not sure if they will agree for a lesser amount ,if negotiated.Would like to know if anybody had similar experience or is it wise to pay to get letter for GC ?

Hi Purnima,

I replied to your email as well. Bonds and labor duration contracts are not enforceable in a court of law in the United States. Threatening you also has criminal consequences for the company so they should avoid doing so any further. Please send the letter I drafted for you to the employer.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA. www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu

Hello Sir,

Hope you are doing well. I’m writing again in reference to our conversation below in 2014.
The Indian employer has again sent a legal notice to my parents’ address in India,after almost a period of two years from first notice(which I ignored), asking me to pay Rs 2.14k as penalty. I did not get my relieving letter from that company and haven’t claimed my PF yet, haven’t claimed my PF yet, which I can do separately as its through the government.

My question is, if I don’t pay, will they cause any legal situation wherein if I visit India,there may be a problem to travel back to USA? Should I respond to their letter? Could you please send me the letter once again which you have mentioned, to send to the employer.

Thanks&Regards,
Poornima

Hi,

I’m writing again in reference to the above query I had in in 2014.
The Indian employer has again sent a legal notice to my parents’ address in India,after almost a period of two years from first notice(which I ignored), asking me to pay Rs 2.14k as penalty. I did not get my relieving letter from that company and haven’t claimed my PF yet, haven’t claimed my PF yet, which I can do separately as its through the government.

My question is, if I don’t pay, will they file any legal case wherein if I visit India,there may be a problem to travel back to USA? Should I respond to their letter? Could you please send me the letter once again which you have mentioned, to send to the employer.

Thanks&Regards,
Poornima