I have F1 visa and expired i20, can i travel to US with an acceptance letter from the university?

I received F1 visa after 221G and mean while my i20 for september intake got expired, re applied for deffer of new i20 but have not received it yet. University people asked me to travel on expired i20 and an acceptance letter from them. Is it possible to do so?

You need a valid SEVIS id number and a new I20. University is correct that their acceptance letter will work but please note that I-20 and SEVIS are federal documents but the letter is not. It is not good if you find out at US port of entry that a new I-20 is required.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar; wwwDOThopeforhumanityglobalDOTorg; hopehumanityATgmail.com