H4 visa interview - F1 visa rejected 2 years back. Any complications?

Hi friends,

I have my H1B visa approved and would be appearing for stamping in September. I am getting married and my wife will be appearing for H1-H4 interview with me. We had a few doubts.

My wife’s F1 visa was rejected two years back. She has applied now for MS Spring 2014 admission Will she be asked about it during the H4 interview? Will it affect our chances for the visa? Is it frowned upon to be applying for education while being on H4 visa? Or should we deny applying?

We are currently worried about this issue and would be very grateful if someone could share their experience or opinions. Thanks

Regards,

tensed_guy08

Hi tensed_guy08 , Hi buddy mine is similiar case like yours but thing is my F1 was rejected twice back in 2008 and i would be attending VISA in SEP (HYD) and my wife would be joining me at that time i am bit worried if VO asks me abt rejection thing no issues with my Wife case she is appearing first time ,it would be gratefull if ppl like saurabh abd all can share their experience ,thanks

Unless the previous rejection was due to submission of false documents or information, F-1 rejection should not impact H-4 visa stamping.

You still need to mention about the rejections in your DS form and answer truthfully if asked about it.

Unless the previous rejection was due to submission of false documents or information, F-1 rejection should not impact H-4 visa stamping.

You still need to mention about the rejections in your DS form and answer truthfully if asked about it.

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for replying to my question and for the entire site. My wife has already applied for Spring admissions. She fears that the Visa officer would ask her about it? What should we say if asked what she will be doing after coming here? Specifically if asked whether she has plans to study? Should we say that she will be studying in nearby university as it is allowed on H4 visa or deny such plans?

What was the reason for F-1 rejection?

If you appear stamping together, most of the questions will be directed to your H-1 and not her H-4. Typical questions for H-4 visa applicants include - when did you get married, what do you plan to do in US etc. For the 2nd question, she can reply that she plans to stay at home, roam in US etc. They don’t ask about plan to study in US (at least I haven’t seen any such visa interview experiences).