H4 visa Extension ( Public benefits)

Hi Team,

Could you please help me to understand what we need to select in part 5 of newly updated I-539 form out of the below 3 options?

1. Yes, I have received or certified to receive the following public benefits.
  2. No, I have not received any of the above listed public benefits
  3. No, I am not certified to receive any of the above listed public benefits.

I have never used any of the listed public benefits listed in the form hence i can choose the 2nd option. My doubt is do we are certified to take public benefits ? What is the appropriate answer of this question.

I am spouse of a H1B worker. Please help

Thanks in advance for your help

Thank!!!

Your question is addressed at : How to fill out New I-539 Form Public Benefits .. FYI, there is an injunction blocking the rule, so not to worry at this time.

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for your response but I dindt get “FYI, there is an injunction blocking the rule, so not to worry at this time.”

Also,

1. How would i know if i am eligible or not ? If i am not at all eligible for this benefits then straight answer would be “No, I am not certified to receive any of the above listed public benefits”

Let say, I am eligible and check “No, I have not received any of the above public benefits” then it gives an impression that I may take public benefits in future.

Whats your thoughts on this ? Spouse of an H1B ( H4) is eligible for Public Benefits ? As of my knowledge on internet articles, H4 dependent is not eligible for public benefits.

Thanks

“FYI, there is an injunction blocking the rule, so not to worry at this time.”

Meaning, there is a court order that has ordered USCIS not to implement this rule and they are in court now to sort it out before the new forms and rule becomes effective.

Well, you can only state the intent, no one know about future…the assessment is only based on past and not in future.

In general, most of the H1B, H4 do not use or qualify for most of the benefits, but there maybe few tied to medicaid, health insurance, etc, that may be considered as benefits…Again, I do not have a full list of such things….
Anyways, now the public charge rule has got injunction order, so nothing to worry much…it is on hold and not going effective.