My H1B Transfer (Filed by Company A) was rejected and H1B from previous company (Company B) had also expired. Company A again filed my H1B on consular processing and was approved. Below is my experience for the stamping of this visa @ Kolkata consulate in September 2018:
At Kolkata Consulate
- My appointment was at 09:00AM at Kolkata consulate.
- Arrived at the consulate at 08:30AM and stood in line outside.
- The security started letting us in shortly where we had to go thru a security (just like airport). Make sure not to bring any electrical devices with you.
- After clearing security, I was directed to go to a building to join the others (kind of a waiting room).
- Here, an admin instructed to keep just the Passport, DS-160 confirmation page, I-797 and Appointment confirmation page in hand and rest in the file.
- Around 09:00AM I was again in line to go to the building where the actual interview was taking place. I was called to Window 4.
Here how the interview went:
Me: Good Morning ma’am.
VO: Good morning, how are you?
Me: M pretty good, how are you?
VO: I’m good, so you are here for H1 visa?
Me: Yes ma’am (passed the passport and documents thru the window)
VO: I will be back (she goes somewhere and comes back after ~5minutes but I felt like an hour!)
VO: So what company are you working at?
Me: I was working at company A in NJ as a XYZ position.
VO: I see your visa transfer was denied in June. Is this the same company?
Me: Yes, before this I was working at Company B and in March, Company A filed for my H1B transfer and I started working for the new company. But when the transfer was rejected I stopped working. However the company made some mistakes during filing and now when they have a new position opened, they filed a new H1B petition.
VO: What’s your job responsibilities?
VO: What does this company do?
VO: What company you worked for before this one?
Me: I was with Company B for X years until March.
VO: What was your role in the previous company?
VO: Your work location is mentioned NJ, are you fine with it?
Me: Actually my home is also in NJ and have been living there since X years and that’s why it works best for me.
VO: ok your visa is granted as your passport will be delivered as per selection you made with the agency.
Me: thanks a lot ma’am
I was out of the consulate at 09:40AM.
MY TWO CENTS:
- Be confident
- Provide clear answers
- Keep smiling
- Always keep eye contacts