H1B to F2 status change

Dear team,

I have a few questions regarding my change of visa status. I was working on H1B and my job did not renew after the covid-19, I got my last paycheck on May 30, 2020. I applied for a change of visa status from H1B to F2 online. They received my case and I got an online receipt but not the hard copy. As of July 30, the grace period of 2 months is going to end (correct me if I am wrong). Based on the above scenario, I have the following questions:

1. As my change of status application is received by USCIS, will I be legal in the US?
  2. “THIS NOTICE DOES NOT GRANT ANY IMMIGRATION STATUS OR BENEFIT.” – what does it mean?
  3. Do I need to apply for any cap-gap or other forms?

H1B, F2, Status change

If you have applied for COS before your I-94 expired and during grace period, you are fine.
Well, in general, when you apply for anything, it is standard statement from notice.
Also, once you have something pending with USCIS, you are in period of authorized stay. Check below

Dear Team,

I have to change my status from H1B to H4 due to covid lay-off. My last day with the employer is August 7. I understand that I need to file I-539 as soon as possible. However, am not sure if I should file online or by paper. What is the best way in this current situation?? Please clarify the pros and cons.

Please note I qualified for all the requirements stated in USCIS website for online filing. But, not sure online filing is the best way I need to go with. Thank you so much.

Hi Kumar,
Thanks for your answer. I am a bit confused about this statement as you mentioned “pending with USCIS”. However, from the notice “We have received the application or petition (“your case”) listed above. This notice only shows that USCIS accepted your online filed case on the “Received Date” listed above. It does NOT grant you any immigration status or immigration benefit, and it is not evidence that your case is still pending. We will update your online account when we make a decision on your case or if we need additional information.” So the question, I am asking “Do they write anything in the notice like your case is pending?” Or this is a general format of response?

Thanks again.