H1B processing company is asking for original degree certificates along with deposit

H1B processing company is asking for original degree certificates along with 5000 USD deposit as assurance that I will work with them for 18 months before they clear my RFE for EAC16147508XX. They would return it after 18 months of service. Is that legit?

1. Point blank: Its not legal to ask these.

Regardless, the employees also not ethical some times. So, Employers needs to save themselves with some assurance. So, they are asking. But you dont need to give as its illegal. Its up to you and them to trust one other.

I believe that working for a couple of years at least to the sponsoring employer is a good idea for an employee, unless and otherwise such employer is not treating reasonable.

Thanks for the response. I have got an email from them today that they are going to withdraw my application after I agreed to do so, though I never agreed.

What other assurance can I provide to the employer?

Dont worry, just make it clear that you are willing to work for them for good amount of them and keep your promise. This is a soft trust issue, needs to be understood by both the parties.