H1B expired before entering into US. Does it come under cap exempt?

My H1B visa expired in October 2017 before I even enter US. I have my visa stamped and I-797 copy as well. Now if I want to reapply, does it has to be a normal H1B transfer, or transfer under cap exempt or should I go for a fresh application through lottery process? I am confused as every petitioner suggests a different process and contradict each other. Please share ur experience.