H1 Petition can be transferred to new employer?


Last year my H1B petion got approved and I did not go for stamping. In between I have changed the company and can I use the same approved petition with new employer and go for stamping? If yes, whats the procedure involved. My employer might give approval


The new employer will have to file a cap-exempt petition for you on the basis of previously approved petition. Once approved, you can go for stamping through that employer by carrying the new petition and other documents.

Thanks Saurabh.

Hi Saurabh

One follow up question regarding the same

  1. where do I find the validity date for the approved petition

  2. I have the petition number only and when I quit my previous company I didnt collect the original petition papers. Is it still possible without the original papers to go for cap exempt .


  1. On 797
  2. You can try w/ the receipt number and print out of online status showing it as approved