H-4 SUICIDE-TRAGIC, MEANINGLESS OR UNDERSTANDABLE?

This happened last week in Queens, New York. A 28 year old girl from Andhra Pradesh, India committed suicide by drinking bleach. This is no way for a Ph.D in material science to say goodbye to this world. Dr. RR was here on an H-4 visa and was working at a grocery store for under the table cash. The frustration of being qualified and yet not being able to work in your profession can be mind numbing torture. I am sure Dr. RR had to hide the fact from her parents and in-laws that she was not pursuing research in material science but rather was busy helping plastic bag Indian groceries. Nothing wrong in working at a grocery store but that gets you only cash, not job satisfaction and you will cry yourself to sleep every night. My message to all highly qualified H-4s is this. Fight the urge to pick up that bottle of bleach or have the next argument with your H-1B husband or wife on how you feel so trapped on an H-4 and that you were better off back in the home country. Options exist for you to transfer out of the steel bars of what I call the H-4 monkey cage. Ask me how and we will discuss here so that everyone can read.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu http://chu.edu/images/Exec%20Ldrsp%20One-Sht_v2_web.pdf