F1 reinstatement pending, OPT application after SEVIS record terminated

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying for F1 reinstatement, and USCIS already received my application at 4/17/2012. I graduated from school on 5/10/2012, and need to file my OPT application no later than 7/9/2012.

Recently, I am informed that if the reinstatement comes later than OPT application deadline, I will not be eligible to apply for OPT because DSO cannot issue an I-20 for OPT. Is this true? How can I regain my eligibility for OPT application if reinstatement really comes later than OPT deadline?

Thanks for answer my question in advance.

Hello Chrisshan,

I had the same problem 2 years back, u can apply for your OPT with a letter from the DSO stating you will submit the approved reinstated i-20 as soon as you recieve it.

Only thing is you will be losing few months of your OPT period, you have to put your OPT start date as 7/9/2012 in the application but when you recieve your OPT card you will have the OPT approval date as your start date. (I lost 3 months in my case as my opt was approved after i sent my reinstated i-20).

Let me know if you have any further questions on this situation.

satya.

Hello,
My wife is in similar situation…Her Reinstatement is approved after 60 days since graduation…Her OPT is applied during grace period which is pending…Do we send the reinstated I20 to USCIS or acc to school DSO she cannot issue until SEVIS is reactivated which can only be done after RFE asked for…Can you please guide us and thanks and need to know what you have done…
K

Hello,
My wife is in similar situation…Her Reinstatement is approved after 60 days since graduation…Her OPT is applied during grace period which is pending…Do we send the reinstated I20 to USCIS or acc to school DSO she cannot issue until SEVIS is reactivated which can only be done after RFE asked for…Can you please guide us and thanks and need to know what you have done…
K

hey christian what happen to your case.Did u get the OPT.even i am in the same boat.My grace peroid of 60 days is getting near.Can you please help me .How did you apply.Please reply

Thanks in advance .

hie satya prasad .Even i applied for reinstatement and the case is still pending…My grace period of 60 days is getting near.Can you please help me .Can I apply if my DSO does not give me a supporting letter.Please reply .Its very urgent Thanks

Thanks in advance .

Hello Helprequired,

You can talk to your DSO and apply for OPT, but your DSO has to give you the appropriate documents to apply for OPT. when he gives you all the documents you can attach a letter explaining the situation.

Hi,

I am in the exact situation and I applied for the OPT recently. However, I don’t have the OPT request I-20 from DSO. However, the DSO said that he cannot issue the OPT i-20 after the 60 days grace period. I am wondering how you can get your OPT approved without the OPT request i-20. or do I just need the reinstatement approved I-20?

Hey satya,
can u please let me know what exactly happened with your case?
Thanks, heera.

can u please let me knoe how you handled with your wife’s situation?
thanks, heera.

Hi heera what happened to you?