F-1 Visa Holder Tax question

Hello, I currently am on F-1 Visa and my Fiance is American. I got the H1-B and we are wondering what will happen if we get married for tax purposes - we wanted to get married now to save with taxes in 2019. My questions are:

Will I still be able to get my tax refunds next year for 2019 fiscal year based on my F-1 (Good until Sept 30th)? or getting married will cause me to pay normal taxes and not get the refunds I am entitled to under the F-1?

Will get married affect my H-1B process?

If someone could help me understand and decide if we are better of getting married now for tax purposes or wait until October (our actual religious wedding).

Thanks!

In regards to your visa/status, nothing is going to change anytime soon, just because you get married in near future. For next year, you can decide if you can either file married (saves tax for both) or separate and the tax consultants will take care of it for you. I believe if you get married anytime this year, you can file your tax as married for the entire 2019.

1 Like

To add, getting married will not change your H1B process.

Actually if your F1 status is changed, it might effect your tax.
Since F1 student is considered as non resident alien for five years,you don’t have to pay FICA tax ( Medicare and Social Security tax).
I would say check your pay stub whether FICA is withhold from your wage.
If so, just get married in 2019