Expired H1B Extension


I had a H1B visa that expired in Sep 2016 (IT was 3 year visa from Oct 2013). During this period (2013-16), I worked in the US only for a couple of months on a project. I joined a one year MBA program in the US on a student visa. I plan to work in the US post my MBA- I’ll be graduating in June 2017. What options do I have? Can I apply for the cap exempt H1B transfer / extension? Can I capture the un-used H1B period from my previous visa?