Eligibility for In-state tution fee

I have been living and working in Illinois for the past 2.5 years, obviously remitting the state tax.

My brother who lives in India has been shortlisted for admission to the MIS program in University Of Illinois – Liautaud Graduate School of Business.

Since I am paying for his course, will he be eligible for In-State tuition fee?


The residency rules are very strict but you can always discuss with the University. Private Universities are more flexible, some of them don’t even have the differential but I am wondering if the University you mention is private or state run. Ask this question to the Admissions Office (not the International Office) and request that you would appreciate an exception to the rule based on your residency status. Difficult but no harm in asking.

Best wishes

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, www.chu.edu; sshankarATchu.edu

Typically, In-state tuition is given to A, E, G, H1, H4, I, K, L, N, NATO, O1, O3 (dependent of O1), R, T, TPS, U, or V. visa holders. If your brother is going to arrive on F1 visa, he may not be eligible, unless he gets some kind of funding in the university. You may read In-state tuition vs Out of state tuition article