Does chef or Cook work visa comes under H1-B category?

My brother is working as a chef in seoul south korea from last 12yrs and he wanted to come to USA for work.

His work visa will fall under H1B category or there is seperate category for this skill , if so then what category he will be falling in and is there any specific time for his visa filling or its same as H1B visa filling data ?


Hi Sukesh,

I am sure your brother will be highly successful in the US. As a rule of thumb, 3 years of work experience equals 1 year of education. So your brother will meet the H-1B criteria but subject to cap unless he seeks the job of a nutritionist in a hospital kitchen or as part of a diet driven research group. A restaurant will not be able to escape the cap clause.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA.;