Do I need to file H1 B amendment or extension??

Hi All,

I am little bit confused with my H1B visa or amendment status. Please help me on this.

I have valid H1 visa till July 2018 stamped on passport in Feb 2016 (India). Next month only Mar 2016, I applied amendment as my client/location was changed and got receipt number in Apr 2016. On the basis of receipt number, I travelled to US and since then working for same client/location till date.

Now, Few days back I got to know that my amendment is approved since Feb 2017 to Jan 2018. My confusions/concerns are:

1. Do I need to file H1 B amendment or extension?? as my existing amendment is going to expire on Jan 2018 (will continue work with same client/location).
  2. I have a plan to go to India in Dec 2017 to Jan 2018 (first week). Should I file the H1 B amendment or extension before trip or after trip?

Thanks in advance. Waiting for reply.

1. You don’t need another amendment if you will continue to work at the same location/client, it will be an extension.

2. Extension should be applied after your return. It is advised not to travel outside country when extension is in progress.

Please verify with your attorney.