Change of departments in masters

Hello everyone!!
I am a student in india pursuing master in mathematics along with bachelors in mechanical.I am really interested in pursuing masters in computer science engineering.Can one shift to department which is not the same as thier undergraduate department??.I have read some universities’s websites and found that one is expected to fulfill the prerequisitesa at the university before starting thier graduate study.Is this approach advisable??I want to know more about the department transfer process like pros and cons of it,methods to do it.

Thanks in advance

Can one shift to department which is not the same as thier undergraduate department??.

Yes, you can totally shift the degree majors in USA. You would be required to do all the pre-requisites though. 

I have read some universities's websites and found that one is expected to fulfill the prerequisitesa at the university before starting thier graduate study.Is this approach advisable??

It depends on the school. Some requires all of the prerequisites to be done as full time. Some provide few waivers. You do NOT have a choice, if you want to change majors.  The good part is that you will get the Stats and Alegbra classes waived. You would need to take some programming classes, again it depends on school. if you are passionate about MS in CS, then go for it.