Cap Exempt H1B Filing - Details required

I got my H1B stamped in April 2004 and travelled to US for ~2years. During this period I got my H1B visa extended also. I returned to India on January 2007 and then my H1B expired in April 2008.

I want to know whether I am eligible for H1B filing under cap exempt category now? Do I need to work out the H1B filing with the same employed who filed it first time or any new employer can use my expired petition to file new petition?

You may not be eligible for cap-exempt petition as the H-1 is more than 6 years old. Still you can check w/ an attorney to see if it can still be used. You can approach either the old employer or a new one.