Can you apply change of status from F1 visa to H4 visa in States?

I read from many online sources stating that they usually apply for H4 visa from their home countries. My case is a little bit different. I’m currently staying in the US under F1 visa.

Can I apply to change my status to H4 visa from F1 visa while I remain staying in the US?

The USCIS website does not provide much information about H4 visa. Does anyone know more information about H4 visa? How long does it usually take for them to grant the visa?


You need to apply for COS (change of status) from F-1 to H-4. Search for COS or form I-539.

You can apply it yourself, or see if your spouse’s company can file it for you