Can I update I797 receipt number after booking dropbox appointment?

Hello,

I am leaving for India on Jan 3rd 2022 and my company will file for my brand new H1b extension around Jan end of 2022. I want to schedule and book visa appointment now itself so that I can try to get earlier Feb/March 2022 slots instead of May 2022 slots.

Can I use my old I797 receipt number to fill out the Ds 160 and Schedule Appointment page, pay the fees now and later update my application with new I797 receipt number?

Thanks in Advance.

• K

You can update the receipt in DS160. Below is the process for updating DS160 before appointment.

If it is less than 30 days of submission of DS160, go back to the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website page for the DS-160. Click the tab for “Retrieve an Application.” Hopefully you took note of the application ID number from the DS-160 you submitted earlier, because you’ll need to enter that application ID number in the box. Then click the Retrieve Application button.

In the next dialog box, click “Create an Application.” Next, you’ll have to answer the security questions to get back into your form. Once you’re in, correct your mistake, then review everything, then electronically sign and submit the application. You will be given a new confirmation and bar code to print and bring to your interview.

If more than 30 days have gone by since you submitted the application with the mistake on it, you can upload that application back into CEAC, if you saved it on to your computer or other storage device. Go back to the CEAC website , click on DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, choose the consulate or embassy where you will be applying from the drop-down menu, and then click the “Upload an Application” tab. Choose the location of your saved file, and click the Upload Data button. After making your changes, save and submit the new application. You will be given a new confirmation and bar code.

If you never saved your original application, and it has been more than 30 days since you submitted it, you’ll need to start over. Go back on the CEAC website and fill in a new DS-160. Print the confirmation page for this new application.

If you used the first (incorrect) DS-160 submission to schedule your visa appointment or pay the visa application fee already, you will need to bring the confirmation pages from both the new (corrected) and the original (incorrect) DS-160 to your interview/dropbox.

1 Like

@Kalpesh_Dalwadi Thank you for your response. Not just on DS-160, they ask us to enter receipt number when trying to book a visa appointment. Will I be okay to update the receipt number in this case then? After I have booked an appointment?

I am not sure if that can be updated. I would just call VFS and confirm.

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-main-contactus.asp

@ketki29 I’m in similar situation, How did you updated the recently approved H1 petition on both DS160 and VFS Dropbox interview request? I understand that we need to create new DS160 using new petition number and take it with you for the dropbox, but how did you update the new H1 petition number on Dropbox interview request ? Could you please advise.

Hello,

I still haven’t submitted my original ds-160. But if you lookat the above reply.it seems you can contact them n let them know you made a mistake instead of again doing a payment.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I’m in similar situations.

Do you have any information on updating new i797 receipt number for existing drop box appointment?

Hi,
what you did in this situation?
I have similar situation.

Hi,

What you did in this situation?

@ketki29 I’m in same situation. any update since its a long time.

@sri_p – I am in the similar situation. Can you please let me know the process to change the petitioner receipt number in Ustraveldocs site without cancelling the current appointment dates.

your help much appreciated !!!

Thanks
Karthik

Hello,

I am similar situation. Can you tell me what you did to fix the situation here?
I have drop box appointment, so wont even face VO. So not sure whom should I tell these issue about when dropping the drop box documents.

Thanks!
Gowri