Can an Electrical Engineer apply for H1B visa to work in IT field?

Hi

I am an Electrical Engineer. I had worked in Power Sector for 1 year and 4 months before getting into an IT field. I have now been working in IT for 2 years and 2 months.

Can I apply for H1B visa to work in IT field?

I have been told by the concerned person in my office that as I am an Electrical Engineer, I need to have a minimum of 3 years of work experience in IT to apply for H1B for working in IT field.

yes you can apply

can I apply H1B to work in IT field?
I have been told by the concerned person in my office that as I am an Electrical Engineer, I need to have a minimum of 3 years of work experience in IT to apply for H1B for working in IT field.

If you have a 4 year bachelor degree then you qualify for H1. The concerned person might be telling you about your company specific qualification. The requirements to qualify for an H1B visa are:

You must have ONE of the following

1. A Bachelor’s degree or Masters Degree (or the foreign equivalent degree from your Country), OR
  2. 12 years work experience, OR
  3. A mix of further education + work experience

The general H1B visa qualification rule is:

• for every 1 year of studies at University / College = 3 points
  • for every 1 year of work experience = 1 point

12 points in ‘total’ are required to qualify for the H1B visa program

ok…Thanks for the reply.

Even though you are qualified for H-1 in general, you also need to be qualified for the offered position. So if the position requires Comp Sc + 1 years of experience, or non-Comp Sc + 3 years of work experience, then you are not eligible for that position. The person may be talking from this perspective. Ask them about the position requirements.