B1/B2 extension stay for parents

My parents are completing 6 months stay in a month’s time and we are planning to extend their stay for 3 months. We are planning to visit Mexico with them end of June. Can they travel internationally or in domestic flight in the US with an expired I94, but with a I539 receipt ?

Extending the stay after 6 months can be tricky. The reason is unless the circumstances are beyond control, it is hard to get the extension. If the extension is denied, it may have an impact on future entries on B1/B2.

Well, if they travel outside of the US, they will get a new I-94 to re-enter, and the I-539 extension receipt is not of any use. They cannot use automatic visa revalidation. It is best to speak to an attorney

1 Like