Applying for multiple NIEs. Has anyone tried it?

Hello folks,

I am looking to travel from India to US, and need NIE for that. I was thinking of applying to all consulates within India for the NIE, to improve chances of approval, though I do not know at what level it is evaluated. Would this work in a positive manner, or would it backfire?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

You are supposed to apply at the consulate that issued your visa.

I have seen cases where people have applied to all consulates for an NIE, to improve their chances. And I wanted to know how the NIE application process works. Is it scoped within the consulate only, or do the consulates share information amongst themselves about the NIE applications they receive?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/national-interest-exception-frequently-asked-questions/

I am subject to Presidential Proclamation 10199 but have a valid nonimmigrant visa and believe I qualify for a National Interest Exception. What do I need to do?

(U.S. Visa Frequently Asked Questions - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in India)

Visa holders with definite plans to travel who can demonstrate qualification for a National Interest Exception may contact the Embassy or Consulate that issued their visa to request a national interest exception prior to travel:

The email must include the following information for all travelers seeking an exception, as it appears on the visa:

Last name:

First name:

Date of birth, in DDMMMYYY format (ie – 01JAN2021):

Gender (M/F):

Country of birth:

Country of citizenship:

Passport number:

Visa Number* and Category:

Issuing Post Name (upper left corner of visa):

Travel dates:

Travel purpose and national interest category, including a clear justification for receipt of a NIE:

*The visa number, also known as the visa foil number, is located on the lower right of the visa. Please attach a scanned copy of your visa.

Each request will be carefully considered as our limited resources allow. Emails in languages other than English may slow response time. We aim to respond to each request within two weeks but cannot guarantee a decision date or the outcome of the decision. Errors in the submitted data may prevent approval in NIE requests.

Please note that National Interest Exceptions (NIEs) are now valid for12 months and multiple entries from the day of approval, though only for the originally-approved purpose of travel. This change is retroactive for all NIEs issued under PP 10199 or other COVID-related proclamations, even if you previously received an NIE with a shorter duration.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

The consulates have information about your stamping - which consulate the stamping was done, when etc based on your passport number. So sending it to all the consulates won’t work.
Apply for NIE with the consulate where you got your visa stamped.
I applied on 29th July to Chennai consulate and got the NIE approval in the first week of August for my first time travel/freshly stamped H1b visa in March 2021