Work permit to H4 visa holders


Few days ago,I read in an immigration forum that if a H1B visa holder is waiting for his/her GC approval,his/her spouse who is on H4 visa can apply for work permit.Is that true?

I appreciate if someone could throw more light on the subject.

Thank You!

M Rao

I think the H4 person can file EAD (Employment Authorization Document) once the GC petition (I-485) is filed.