what is consular process for h1b extension and what are the procedure?

HI,

My H1b visa was stamped on jan 2012 and valid till dec 2012 ( I got only one year )

i travelled to US for the period of Mar 2012 to Jun 2012. Now i am in india and my employer has applied for H1B extension through consular process in dec 2012.

I would like to know what is the processing time and will my visa be approved for 6 months or 3 years? what is the procedure? will i be provided temporary green card at POE in US?

Kindly clarify.

It could take 2-4 months to process depending upon processing center. If RFE is issued, then it can take longer. If approved, the term would depend upon lot of factors including what your employer asked for and what USCIS deemed correct based on submitted information.

As your visa stamp is also expiring (or would have expired by the time approval comes through), you will have appear for visa stamping. You may be eligible for new H-1 visa waiver as your visa expiration is within 1 year and you are going through same employer (look at other requirements as well for this).

When entering US, you will be provided I-94 based on your new approved 797. No green card is provided.

Hi Amala,

Can you tell me how much time did it take for your h1b stamping through consular processing from the time the application was filed till the approval received and stamping done? Did u get any rfe?