Travel to USA via Mexico or Canada

Hi Friends,

I came to India in December last year to renew my H1B visa. I got my renewed H1B visa in April but due to the latest proclamation, I got stuck in India. From this week Canada and Mexico have allowed travelers from India to enter their country.

My question is that

  1. can I fly to Mexico or Canada with the H1B visa and get quarantined there for 14 days and then travel to the USA?
  2. Will I need a separate visa to travel to Mexico or Canada other than H1b?

Please do reply.


For Canada, you need a visa. For Mexico, if you have a valid H1B, you can stay up to 180 days without a need for tourist permit.

If you currently hold a valid multiple entry valid multiple entry visa from Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as long as you do not stay in Mexico for more than 180 days nor work in Mexico, and that your visa is valid during your entire stay in Mexico.