Trading off the expired drivers license with california DMV


I have driving license from othe state when i travelled previously with L1 visa. That license got expired some 3 years back. Now i got my H1B and travelling to california state. My questions is can i trade my previous drivers license with california state even though it is expired. CA allows to trade the out of state driving licenese for up to 10 days. In this case will that rule applies to me or should I apply for a new drivers license alltogether. Some one please suggest me.