SSN copy to consultancy for verification with Attroney?

Hi- the consultancy who is planning to apply a fresh petition for my exisiting H1B (stamping expired) wants a list of docs from me (scanned) which he says he needs to get them verified with his attroney to check if my case is good for filing a fresh petition. In this list he is asking for a copy of my SSN card also. So is it safe to give him a copy of my SSN card? if no, what is the alternate for this.

I am not sure why they need the SSN. Do they plan to do background verification? If yes, then they will need the SSN and lot of companies do that. Also, they will need the SSN when they run your payroll later.

So it is normal to give SSN to the employer, especially if you trust the employer. You can just give them the number, or have they specifically asked for a copy of the card?

ya Saurabh, they want the copy of my card and they said they need all this to get them verified with his attroney to check if my case is good for filing a fresh petition. giving number is fine, but not understanding why the card.

Maybe they want to be really sure that it is your SSN and that’s why need the card. To think about it, they will have your SSN and birth date as part of other documents sooner or later. So giving a copy of this card doesn’t provide them any additional information. It all comes down to how much you trust the employer, and if they are reliable then no harm.

ok fine, thanks Saurabh for the reply…