Spouse wants to live in different State


I am on H1B VIsa (I140) and a fulltime employee with XYZ Bank living in LA Area. As my wife doesn’t have any friends here so she wants to move to Chicago so I just wanted to check will there be any problem if I am living in LA and she moves to Chicago with my kid as she is my dependent (H4 Visa).

Any suggestion/advice would be highly appreciated.



No, although such decisions are always unfortunate but there is no problem to be expected with visa status. However, your tax code will become complicated when a dependent is not full time resident in the State where you are filing income tax.

Thanks a lot Shankar I’ll check with my CPA on how to handle this Tax filing issue.