sponsoring a friend for education

I work on H1b and I would like to sponsor my friend for MS degree. The friend is already in US and wants to persue another master’s degree, What is my liability when I sign his sponsorship document required by university?

I am not 100% sure, but this is what my understanding is. There is no credit extended in this case. Every year the student pays for the fees at the begining of the semester and is then enrolled for that semester. If no fees is paid, then the enrollment is canceled. So they won’t go after anyone for collection of fees or report to any credit agencies. In other words, the person is not on the hook.

Again, this is just my understanding and you should get it checked by an expert as well.