Query on US Travel on H4 visa though I have valid H1B


I travelled to US on H4 visa and file the H1B petition in the meantime with my Indian employer.

Then I cam e back to India to get my H1B visa stamped. Currently I hold both type of visas (H1B as well as H4)

My current employer doesnt have any open position that suits my profile. So, I am thinking of resigning the organization. Please suggest on the below points:

  1. Can I travel to US on H4 to join my spouse?

  2. If yes, then can I search for a new job there? Please let me know the procedure.

  3. Can I switch between these two visas any time or availing one of these will hold my other visa.

An urgent help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

  1. Yes. 2) Yes, the procedure is to give job interviews and get a sponsor willing to file your H4 to H1 change of status(COS). 3) If you want to switch from one category to another it would take some time via change of status.