Possible ways to convert H4 visa (dependent) to work (H1) visa

Can you please tell all the possible ways to convert H4 visa (dependent) to work (H1) visa. Do i have to wait for April 1st? Please elaborate.

Can it work if I get direct sponser? or are the consultants available for this.

Please guide in detail.


Yes, you have to wait just like everyone else.

Any person who hasn’t held H-1 in the past, needs to wait until April 1 to have their H-1 petition filed. If you are already in US, then the petition will be accompanied w/ COS from H-4 to H-1. Once USCIS approves the H-1 petition w/ COS (change of status), you can start working on H-1 from COS effective date (Oct 1 or later).

You can find direct employers as well, but usually consulting companies are more willing to file H-1 for people who are on H-4 (as the company needs to wait for 6 months before you start employment).