I am currently on OPT - eligible for STEM extension. However, my employer has filed H-1B petition. The petition is in the ‘Initial Review’ stage. I understand the OPT automatically gets extended when a decision on H-1B is pending. With a possibility of my H-1B getting rejected, would it be wise to apply for STEM extension? Also, will filing the STEM extension jeopardize the H-1B petition? Thank you.
Why don’t you apply for STEM extension as a back-up now? If H-1 gets approved, this extension will go to waste. If H-1 gets denied, you will have this as a back-up.