Mumbai Consulate Dropbox with US Citizen Kid 221g issued

Hi All,
I have a situation I believe other’s have not gone through.
Came to Mumbai , had dropbox scheduled for 23rd June.
My current I797 is valid till Feb 2023 but my existing visa expired on Feb 2020.
Dropbox done on 23rd with passport and I 797 copy, one photo and employment letter and confirmation page.
We asked VAC lady if we need to submit our US kids birth certificate and passport copies. Lady said no need.
June 25th status changed to refused.
June 28th - passport sent back to VAC from where we collected it and saw the white 221g slip. The slip had presidential proclamation marked on it. We were shocked. We thought that the VO somehow missed that we have US Citizen kid…
We wrote an email on 28th to India-support travel docs saying that we have US Citizen kid and attached copies of his passport plus birth ceftificate.
June 29th got an email saying that we are not exempt from pp 10199…??
Can anybody guide me through this?
My son’s school resumes in August and I have return ticket of 10th July…

Did you send a reply citing the below link that as a parent of US born kids you should be exempt from 10199?

https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/national-interest-exception-frequently-asked-questions/

I did send a reply to support_india @ustraveldocs and I got the same reply. I am here for H1B renewal with approved I-797. My visa expired in Jan 2020. Somehow the officer or the consulate is not seeing that I have a US citizen kid . My concern is we don’t know when PP 10199 will be removed so if my kids school starts in August and we are not back he will loose a year as in his school district there is no virtual anymore…its all in person…
do you have mumbai consulate direct email?
Any help would be appreciated…

I did send a reply to support_india @ustraveldocs and I got the same reply. I am here for H1B renewal with approved I-797. My visa expired in Jan 2020. Somehow the officer or the consulate is not seeing that I have a US citizen kid . My concern is we don’t know when PP 10199 will be removed so if my kids school starts in August and we are not back he will loose a year as in his school district there is no virtual anymore…its all in person…
do you have mumbai consulate direct email?
Any help would be appreciated…

Here you go… I suggest doing a tweet tagging all US embassies in India

Appointment and Contact Information - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in India.

Thanks a ton!!. Today my CEAC status changed to Administrative Processing. This despite the fact that they returned our passports with 221g slip marked as Presidential Proclaimation.
hoping they call us next week with passport to the consulate…

This is scary. I have 6-year-old US Citizen and planning to go for a Delhi Dropbox appointment.
The VAC rep, did not even take the kids Birth certificate copy from you?
It is very clearly instructed on the USEmbassy website Dropbox section

“Applicants submitting drop box applications must also submit evidence such as birth certificate copies of U.S. citizen children or employer letters demonstrating that they are not subject to Presidential Proclamation 10199”

Please let us know when you get some updates on this. It would be learning for many.

Yes, keep an eye on your emails.

I think you don’t need to ask them, just include the birth certificate in the document bunch. If they say not needed, you should insist that you want to submit and the reason. Who knows these reps may not be well trained and don’t even know that parents of US citizen kids are exempt.

I did submit my employer letter along with Dropbox documents that clearly mentioned that my kid is a US citizen. In addition my employer letter also mentioned that why my presence back in US as their employee was critical. My firm works for lot of energy, retail and healthcare sector. I work as quality control in-charge for their day to day operations. Who ever the visa officer at the consulate was never read anything and just blatantly issued 221g. Seems like some disgruntled officer who was unhappy about something. I believe my is case is 1 in thousands… Error on my part …no matter what I should have submitted proof of my kids US citizenship…?/

Letter from employer stating your kids are US citizens is not enough proof. You must include copy of birth certificate and US passport.

We tried to…the lady at VFC didn’t take it…we should have forced her…

Hi Kalpesh,
Now that my status on CEAC has changed to Administrative Processing even though our passports have been returned back to us with pp10199 slip do you think they are going to tell us to either come for in person interview or submit the passports back at VFC?
I also forgot to mention that my employers lawyer had sent an email directly to Mumbai Consular section chief with a read receipt and as per the lawyer the section chief has read the email.

Thanks.

If you qualify for dropbox, there should be no interview. They may send you email to submit your passport.

I did qualify based on which I had submitted the documents earlier on 23rd June but like I had mentioned they had returned the passport back with 221g slip and PP10199 marking on it. Hopefully after long weekend will see some update-most likely will ask for more documents or come in for in-person interview…we had this experience last time …we qualified for dropbox did the dropbox and were called for in-person interview…

Hi Kalpesh,
I re-submitted my passport last week Friday for what they say as final processing. Its been 4 business days now and it still says “Administrative Processing” . Is this normal in your experience or opinion?

Thanks

You should get your visa stamped this time. Just wait patiently :slight_smile:

Haha. Thanks. People are getting issued in 2 days…donno why they are holding onto mine…because its 221g maybe…

Did you receive your passport? I am in the same situation and will be looking for dropbox appointment soon. Are dropbox appointment for Mumbai available now?

You have US kid? I have USC kid and first they returned my passport citing PP10199. Then I wrote to support_ India explaining then I am USC parent. Us consulate wrote to me to resubmit my passport and copy of usc kid and passport copies which I did…waiting for them on passport and see what they do this time…