L1 B to H1 B : COS or Consular Processing

Hi There,

I am currently in US with a L1 Visa which expires in may 2013.I had a H1 B work permit  from 2008 -2011, but I never worked on it .Travelled to US on L1 Visa.Now I want to renew/transfer to H1 B. 

1) What is better:  to go for COS or Consular processing?

2) If i go for COS it means I will not go for H1 B VISA stamping and hence if I am granted the H1 B, I cannot leave US and come back for next 3 years as I will not have a VISA.
[Note :It is easier to find companies who are ready to do COS]

3) If i go for Consular processing,  I can go for H1 B VISA stamping and hence if I am granted the H1 B, I can leave US and come back as many times as I want.
[Note :It is difficult to find companies who are ready for this]

4) What is the suggested approach in my case, does any of these have a long term impact when processing green card etc. Please note I am going to India in NOV.

5) Also my H1 B expired sep 2011, so the application will be for a renewal or transfer.I am confused when companies ask me, I tell them they have to renew it, but   someone told me that still the process is called transfer, not renewal as it automatically gets renewed.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sachin

Hi Sachin,

You mentioned that you got H1 approval with validity from 2008-2011 and you never worked for company who field H-1. I’m in a similar situation. Did you exit country and re-enter with your L1??