J1 Visa interview - blue slip one box checked

Hello all. I had my visa interview for J1 y’day at Chennai consulate. I have an invite for a post doc research at the US. the interview was ok, at the end VO handed me a blue slip with “the application will be considered after necessary administrative process”. I have to join the work on Jan 22. Hence I have to fly on Jan 19. Could anyone help me with this? The vo retained my passport with her and said it may take a week

I wouldn’t worry about it, new standard protocol requires a brief hold on all categories specially if you never held a visa for US before. Keep your host department informed on this delay and buy travel insurance on your ticket so that the date can be changed if needed. Approval rating on J-1 visas for postdoctoral assignments is 99.7%.

Thanks much for the response. Any idea on the time frame? I ask this because vo took the passport and my DS form

You should get it this week. Let us know

Sure sir I will let you know

Hello,
I am facing same problem. Did u get ur visa?
It took how much time and wht is the process afterwards.

Hello,
I had J1 interview ( have an invite for post doc position in US) on 21st oct 2021in mumbai consulate. I didn’t perform bad at the interview still I was given blue slip and asked to upload documents enlisted and my passport was given back. Will my visa be approved? Am worried.

What kind of documents did he/she request?

Invitation, resume, research abstract (intend to work in US), previous research in all countries, position : Current Position and a detailed description of work funding, travel and contact info

Certain F1, H1B, J1 and O1A visa holders are subjected to 221g (admin processing), if he/she does research/work in certain fields under the Technology Alert List. You can Google it. It typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete processing and a decision would be made (visa approved/denied). Sometimes, the visa officer gets permission to retain the passport during this process and it is generally considered a positive sign. I thought that they would issue a pink slip for this type of processing based upon information obtained on the web (unofficial) and personal experiences.

Sometimes, it takes several months to finish this process. It depends on the type of research/work and nationality.

Dont’t worry about it. Color of slip doesn’t matter since the information requested is critical and you provided it. Some times, they might ask you to drop the passport at the VFC center after the completion of admin processing (if they decide to approve your visa).

Good luck!