J1 Visa as a exhange student to H1 status

I am travelling to US on a J1 Visa as a exchange student for one year, is it possible to convert the visa status to H1 if i have a job offer from a company? What is the procedure. The university said i will also have an oppurtunity for OPT.

H-1 can be applied only when the cap is open. Next cap opens in April 2014 for an employment start date of Oct 2014. Do you have a waiver in your J-1 which allows you to file H-1 and not requires you to return to home country?

As Saurabh said, look for a small clause on your J-1 visa page. Does it say ‘Section 212(e) rule applies’? If yes, you need that rule taken care of, it is easy but takes 5-6 months, Indian government is involved. So extend your J-1 visa, buy some more time and then work on the waiver as all visa conversions are prohibited if 212e rule applies

Dr. Sandeep Shankar
Academic Advisor (India) to The Executive Director
Colorado Heights University
3001 S Federal Boulevard, Denver, CO 80223