Is reputation or financial aid more important

I have applied for masters in IE in top universities as well as some safe ones. Suppose if I get an admit from a good university without any funding and an admit from a lower ranked university with good funding what should I choose? Also what other factors should I consider before finalizing a university? My priority is quality education but finance is also a major concern so getting a job is also equally important atleast to recover expenses.

Reputation Matters, Funding doesnt matter much AFAIK

It is an equal mix. Reputation matters as does your affordability for the education. In a particular student’s experience at Chennai consulate, she got acceptance at 2 universities, one with reputation but no funding and the other with funding but relatively unknown credentials. During the interview, she showed acceptance letter from both Institutions showing she was a very capable, intelligent young lady who had no trouble with getting accepted and then explained her choice to the officer (she chose the one with funding). This is a mature, honest, practical way to move forward.

All the best

Dr. Sandeep Shankar, Colorado Heights University, Denver, CO 80223, USA. www.chu.edu; sshankar@chu.edu

I have read in many blogs that the teaching quality is pretty good in all universities and that the rankings are more indicative of the research work in that particular university especially at the PhD level. I am not interested in doing a PhD and will be looking out for a job after MS. Considering that how much importance should I give the rankings?
In addition, with reference to your example, if a student shows that he/she chose a particular university because of the financial aid, wouldn’t the VO get the impression that the student is not financially strong and so he/she may want to settle in the U.S which could be a reason for visa denial?

I have read in many blogs that the teaching quality is pretty good in all universities and that the rankings are more indicative of the research work in that particular university especially at the PhD level. I am not interested in doing a PhD and will be looking out for a job after MS. Considering that how much importance should I give the rankings?

You are 100% correct. Rankings are based on extramural grants given to University and overall scope of research programs. For a good quality MS, there is a greater need for you to examine the linkage between the University and local / national industry job placement patterns because good employment and not a research career is your end objective. Your second question is excellent. The officer already knows that all student applicants are not trust fund children with millions of dollars in their account, most families have to stretch their savings. Securing college aid shows you are a high performer and the consulate will not punish you for this. Your choice does not demonstrate ‘intent to immigrate’ but shows intelligent decision making.