I have some queries regarding my stay in the US with my L1B visa.
Below are the various dates linked to my current Visa & Stay in the US.
L1B Visa received: Dec 2013
L1B Visa Expiry: Dec 2018 (got it for 5 yrs)
Petition End Date: Jan 2017 (~3 yrs from Visa Start Date)
Date of Travel to US: Jan 2015
I94 Admit Until Date: Jan 2018 (3 yrs from my date of arrival in US and 1 yr more than the Petition End date)
My dependents(wife & 3 yr old) are having the above dates same as mine as we got the visa at the same time and travelled together.
Below are the facts that I learnt by browsing online(correct me if I am wrong on any):
- I understand that I need to ask my employer to file for L1B petition extension 6 months before the petition expiry.
- I understand that I can’t stay in the US without filing a L1B extension after the current Petition end date Jan 2017, even though I have a valid I94 till Jan 2018.Confirm pls.
- I understand I can’t come back into the US with my current visa if I travel outside the US after the current Petition date (Jan 2017), unless I got my petition extended before the petition expiry.
Below are my questions:
- Consider my petition extension request filed by my employer gets rejected - Does that mean I cannot legally work in the US after my current petition expiry (Jan 2017) though my current I94 will still be valid till Jan 2018?
I read in some forum that I am not suppose to legally work in the US without a valid petition (which will be the case after Jan 2017 till Jan 2018)
- Consider I am sending my family members to India this June on a 2 month trip and when they come back they would mostly get a I94 Admit until Date until Jan 2017 (petition end date). What are the possibilities of getting that corrected until my I94 Admit until date?
I tried calling the CBP today and they informed me that they may not be able to extend since there is no valid petition after Jan 2017 for me.
- Do anyone have any clue about the possibilities of I94 petition approval nowadays for Indian IT firms? I worried on the outcome when my application goes for the approval this year.