I was issued 221 g during h1b visa interview, but they did not took my I797

I have PhD in physics and employed as Software engineer. during interview they asked me my PhD research etc and handed me 221 (g) white slip, which asked me to provide them my resume, past research, current work description, all international travel during last 15 years, purpose of visit, who is funding my visit etc.

They took my passport but did not took I797, I was wondering if this is normal ?
Any idea why they asked me for details on conference ? When clearly, I am going to work for a company not going to attend some conference. The 221 (g) at bottom says 221 (g) /Conference/Oct 2017

Your passport is subject to additional security because of your doctorate in physics - it is a subject area that comes under defense sciences in the US.

Thanks, any idea how long is the processing time. From google it seems it can take 2 months or more

Also why they did not took I797 ?

Your passport is under investigation for security reasons - the I-797 is not being looked at. Expect 2-4 weeks for your stamped visa to be available

Thank you, I hope i get my visa soon so that I can return to work.

Any idea why they asked me for details on conference ? When clearly, I am going to work for a company not going to attend some conference. The 221 (g) at bottom says 221 (g) /Conference/Oct 2017