How to transfer L1B to H1B? Time? Cost? Process? From INDIA & from US

Hi,

How to transfer L1B Visa to H1B?

How much will be it costs?

How much will it take to process?

Even if i am in india with L1B, can i able to file L1B to H1B transfer by getting stamping in India?

Thanks,

Kumar

2 Likes

As far as I know, there is no “transfer” from L1B to H1B. You need to apply for H1B in the usual way. Once your H1B petition is approved, if you are in the US you can apply for COS (this can be done along with the H1B petition as well) and if you are in India you can go for H1B stamping and travel to US.

Thanks,
Sujith

In addition to what Sujith said, it would cost somewhere b/w 1500-4000 depending upon your employer size and number of emlpoyees on H-1 and L-1. This doesn’t include fees related to attorney and premium processing. This article has more information on the fees: http://redbus2us.com/h1b-visa-2013-filing-fee-should-you-pay-for-h1b-cost/

Regular processing can take 2-6 months, while premium processing will be done in 15 calendar days. If RFE is issued, then it can take longer.

On a completely different note, if you are on a valid L1 visa, why would your employer sponsor an H1 at the same time? If you are thinking about a different employer then he does not have to know about your L1 at all, have him sponsor your H1.