Have not got my I-797 hard copy after filing the I-824 form? My options?

I am on H1 and my wife is on H4, our extension was approved by USCIS in the first week of March 2020 so we awaited for I-797 hard copy, after four weeks when we did not get the hard copy of I-797 so we filled for a duplicate copy and waited for few more weeks.

In July my company filled a form I-824 and again the waiting process started, overall as of today December 7th, 2020 we have not heard any news from USCIS.

There was one update however in the USCIS portal that in my case (H1B) I am missing a G-28 form and when I asked this to my company they said it’s not needed in your case.

My work authorization is about to expire on Jan 1/11/2021 and when asked about this my company says

I don’t have to worry about it as my case was already approved by USCIS and even though my work authorization expires they going to keep on asking USCIS about my case status and there won’t be any impact on my job and my payroll will not be blocked.

So now my question is What happens when my work authorization expires? Will I still have a legal status? What are my options here? Also, is the G-28 form valid in my case?

Well, this is slightly tricky. You need to have the hard copy to know for sure that your case was really approve and if you had I-94 extended.

Just seeing status online does not mean anything. Sometimes, there could be error with the online system.
You need to find ways to get the same.
Ask your employer to file for extension in premium so that you have email confirmation at least.